While we have been the Phi Alpha chapter of Phi Mu since 1989, our chapter history begins in 1923. In 1923 a non-Greek, secret, unofficial, and non-campus affiliated organization called The JUG Club was founded by Geraldine Pritchard, Dorothy Robinson, Louise Richardson, Elizabeth Stubbs, Kathleen Todd, and Mary Page Turner. The JUG Club was first officially founded at the school on February 14, 1924. It took the name Delta Sigma Kappa and a year later became one of the first Greek organizations on the Western Maryland College campus.
The 1920’s were big years in the Greek history at McDaniel. It was at this time that no less than six greek organizations were formed on this campus including The Black and White Club (Pi Alpha Alpha) in 1923, The Bachelors (Alpha Gamma Tau) in 1924, The Preachers (Delta Pi Alpha), The WW Club (Sigma Sigma Tau, later Phi Sigma Sigma) in 1922, Phi Alpha Mu in 1926, and Delta Sigma Kappa. While the school did not officially allow national Greek organizations due to the fact that they thought they would provide too many expenses for the students, they let these local organizations stay. As would be expected the organizations all had their stereotypes. The Bachelors were the varsity athletes, The WW club was thought to mean Wild Women instead of Why Worry, which was the official name of the group, and Delta Sigma Kappa thought themselves the best on the campus.
By the end of 1924, Delta Sigma Kappa had been heavily involved in founding the Girls Inter-Club Council, a precursor to what would later become the schools Panhellenic Council. The organization also gained a clubroom and furnishings in 1925. By the end of the 20’s the crest was designed, an alumnae chapter was formed, and the first issue of “The Jug” (a sort of yearbook sent to all members and alumnae) was made. The alumnae chapter also set up a scholarship fund to be given to one member a year. New members were called Baby Delts and, it seems, responsible for putting on a Christmas party every year, which included a baby Delt dressing up as Santa to present a gift (such as a radio or a lamp) to the chapter. During WWII the Delts made sure to send two girls a week to roll bandages and help with the war effort. At any one time, the club had around 40-50 members and had 41 members in 1946. The club continued on for many years.
In 1989, Delta Sigma Kappa decided to affiliate with Phi Mu Fraternity and became the Phi Alpha chapter. It is McDaniel's oldest National Sorority, and the 196th chapter of Phi Mu to be founded nationwide. Since then, hundreds of women have pledged to the Phi Alpha chapter.